University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
Minnesota NLP seminar
Minnesota Robotics Institute (MNRI)
Minnesota Computational Advertising Lab (MCAL)
Data Science Institute (DSI)
Office hour (by appointment)
I'm interested in developing human-centered language technologies. My research is focused on (1) developing interdisciplinary methods for NLP models based on theories in linguistics and cognitive/social sciences, and (2) building interactive NLP systems for scientists and creative writers. My heart is in NLG.
- Intelligent and Interactive NLP systems
- Discourse modeling and planning
- Data-centric NLP
- Linguistic styles
- Neural-symbolic reasoning
- Ethics and biases
Ph.D. students and visitors
- Karin de Langis
- Debarati Das (w/ Jaideep Srivastava)
- Risako Owan (w/ Maria Gini)
- Jaehyung Kim (visiting student at KAIST)
- Zae Myung Kim, 3M fellow
- Anna Martin, CS&E fellow
- James Mooney (starting in 2023 Spring)
See the full list of students and collaborators in Minnesota NLP group. We also co-organize bi-weekly NLP seminar. If you like to join us, please read this page. NOTE: If you are already being advised by someone, please talk to your advisor first and ask them to contact me.
News (read more)
- (Jun 2022) Very honored to receive the 3M Non-tenured Faculty Award (NTFA)
- (Jun 2022) Very honored to receive the Sony Research Faculty Innovation Award
- (May 2022) Received the best paper award on human-in-the-loop interative text revision from In2Writing workshop at ACL 2022
- (May 2022) At ACL 2022, our group presents two papers ( iterative text revision and human-in-the-loop interative text revision) and co-organizes Intelligent and Interactive Writing Assistants (In2Writing) workshop
- (Feb 2022) Four Ph.D. students are co-organizing Minnesota NLP seminar for Spring 2022
- (Jan 2022) One paper on finding good strategies for data augmentation is accepted to ICLR 2022.
- (Nov 2021) I am co-organizing "CtrlGen: Controllable Generative Modeling in Language and Vision" workshop at NeurIPS 2021.
- Three papers (1 main, 1 finding, and 1 workshop) from Minnesota NLP will be presented at EMNLP 2021.
- (July 2021) Our zero-shot language based video localization paper is accepted to ICCV 2021.
- (May 2021) Our cross-style language understanding paper is accepted to ACL 2021.
- (Apr 2021) I will be joining Minnesota CSE as an assistant professor in 2021 Fall.
- (Mar 2021) Talks at KAIST AI, Minnesota CSE, Rochester CS, and Wisconsin CS.
- (Dec 2020) Our ScholarPhi paper is accepted to CHI 2021.
- (Nov 2020) Talks at KAIST AI Colloquium and GIST EECS Colloquium.
- (Sep 2020) Two main papers (self-supervised text planning, sociable dialogue generation) and two workshop papers (document-level definition detection, augmentation for generation) are accepted to EMNLP 2020.
- (Aug 2020) Talk at Berkeley AI Research (BAIR) Workshop.
- (Aug 2020) Talks at CMU LTI Summer Seminar and POSTECH AI Seminar.
- (Jun 2020) Joined UC Berkeley as a postdoctoral scholar, working with Marti A. Hearst.
- (May 2020) Passed my Ph.D thesis defense. Check out my thesis!
- (Mar 2020) Our poterior calibrated training paper is accepted to ACL 2020.
Talks (read more)
Talk at Samsung Research, Aug 2022
Talk at Grammarly NLP, Jul 2022
Talk at Thomson Reuters Research, Jul 2022
Talk at USC ISI AI Seminar, Mar 2022
Talk and panel discussion at CMU LTI Seminar, Feb 2022
Talk at GaTech NLP Seminar, Dec 2021
Talk at Minnesota Robotic Institute Colloquium, Nov 2021
Talk at KAIST SE Colloquium, Nov 2021
Talk at Naver Labs Europe, Nov 2021
Talk at Grammarly AI, Aug 2021
Talk at SNU Summer AI school, Aug 2021
Talk at University of Wisconsin - Madison, CS Department, March 2021
Talk at University of Rochester, CS Department, March 2021
Talk at University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, CSE Colloquium, March 2021
Talk at KAIST, AI Department, Feb 2021
Talk at KAIST AI Colloquium, Nov 2020
Talk at GIST EECS Colloquium, Nov 2020
Talk at Berkeley AI Research (BAIR) Workshop, July 2020
Talk at CMU LTI Seminar, July 2020
Talk at POSTECH AI Seminar, July 2020
Publication ( Selected | By Date | By Topic | Google Scholar )
ICBINB @NeurIPS 2021 / Paper / Code / Bibtex