University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
Minnesota NLP seminar
Minnesota Robotics Institute
Minnesota Computational Advertising Lab
Data Science Institute
Learning Informatics Lab
Office hour (by appointment)
I'm interested in developing human-centered language technologies.
Our group's current research is focused on building human-centric NLP systems, by learning from human perception, interaction with humans, and disagreements among humans:
- We capture human perception through survey-based explanation or eye movements, and build cognitively-inspired NLP models.
- We develop interactive and collaborative human-AI systems and improve productivity/creativity of scientists and creative writers.
- We computionally model disagreement among human annotators/speakers with different backgrounds and develop more inclusive NLP systems to learn everyone's voices.
- Intelligent and Interactive NLP systems
- Discourse modeling and planning
- Data-centric NLP
- Linguistic styles
- Neural-symbolic reasoning
- Ethics and biases
Ph.D. students and visitors
- Karin de Langis
- Debarati Das (w/ Jaideep Srivastava)
- Risako Owan (w/ Maria Gini)
- Jaehyung Kim (visiting student at KAIST)
- London Lowmanstone (w/ Maria Gini), CS&E fellow
- Zae Myung Kim, 3M fellow
- Shirley Anugrah Hayati
- Anna Martin, CS&E fellow
- James Mooney (starting in 2023 Spring)
See the full list of students and collaborators in Minnesota NLP group. We also co-organize bi-weekly NLP seminar. If you like to join us, please read this page. NOTE: If you are already being advised by someone, please talk to your advisor first and ask them to contact me.
News (read more)
- (Nov 2022) Our second In2Writing workshop will be held at CHI 2023 in Hamburg, Germany.
- (Oct 2022) Very excited to receive a generous gift from Grammarly. Thanks Grammarly!
- (Oct 2022) Minnesota NLP seminar is back in Fall 2022 ! We invite Maarten Sap @CMU, Muhao Chen @USC, and Juho Kim @KAIST.
- (Jun 2022) Very honored to receive the 3M Non-tenured Faculty Award (NTFA)
- (Jun 2022) Very honored to receive the Sony Research Faculty Innovation Award
- (May 2022) Received the best paper award on human-in-the-loop interative text revision from In2Writing workshop at ACL 2022
- (May 2022) At ACL 2022, our group presents two papers ( iterative text revision and human-in-the-loop interative text revision) and co-organizes Intelligent and Interactive Writing Assistants (In2Writing) workshop
- (Feb 2022) Four Ph.D. students are co-organizing Minnesota NLP seminar for Spring 2022
- (Nov 2021) I am co-organizing "CtrlGen: Controllable Generative Modeling in Language and Vision" workshop at NeurIPS 2021.
- Three papers (1 main, 1 finding, and 1 workshop) from Minnesota NLP will be presented at EMNLP 2021.
- (Apr 2021) I will be joining Minnesota CSE as an assistant professor in 2021 Fall.
- (Jun 2020) Joined UC Berkeley as a postdoctoral scholar, working with Marti A. Hearst.
- (May 2020) Passed my Ph.D thesis defense. Check out my thesis!
Talks (read more)
Talk at Macalester CogSci Dept., Mar 2023
Talk at Hyundai AI, Dec 2022
Talk at NSF ROSE-HUB, Nov 2022
Talk at 3M NTFA Symposium, Sep 2022
Talk at Yonsei University, Aug 2022
Talk at KAIST CS, Aug 2022
Talk at LG AI Research, Aug 2022
Talk at Samsung Research, Aug 2022
Talk at Grammarly, Jul 2022
Talk at Thomson Reuters Labs, Jul 2022
Talk at USC ISI AI Seminar, Mar 2022
Talk and panel discussion at CMU LTI Seminar, Feb 2022
Talk at GaTech NLP Seminar, Dec 2021
Talk at Minnesota Robotic Institute Colloquium, Nov 2021
Talk at KAIST SE Colloquium, Nov 2021
Talk at Naver Labs Europe, Nov 2021
Talk at Grammarly AI, Aug 2021
Talk at SNU Summer AI school, Aug 2021
Talk at University of Wisconsin - Madison, CS Department, March 2021
Talk at University of Rochester, CS Department, March 2021
Talk at University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, CSE Colloquium, March 2021
Talk at KAIST, AI Department, Feb 2021
Talk at KAIST AI Colloquium, Nov 2020
Talk at GIST EECS Colloquium, Nov 2020
Talk at Berkeley AI Research (BAIR) Workshop, July 2020
Talk at CMU LTI Seminar, July 2020
Talk at POSTECH AI Seminar, July 2020
Publication ( Selected | By Date | By Topic | Google Scholar )
AAAI 2023 / Paper / Code / Bibtex
ICBINB @NeurIPS 2021 / Paper / Code / Bibtex